April 4, 2013

Things That Make You Go Hmmm....

I was watching television the other day and saw a lead in that made me question some of the things that we do on a daily basis. The lead in was 'Kids and Modern Technology and their Brains'. There were some interesting points raised in the news story. The first is that the phone/text messaging is affecting children's ability to communicate efficiently with each other. They are not learning tone and the many nuisances that are learned while talking with each other. Instead of families talking over dinner, they are checking their emails, facebook or playing games on the various devices. Instead of children going over to their friends' houses and using their imagination, they are playing video games or sending ims and instagrams. The next great point that was raised is that children are losing their ability to entertain themselves. The example that was used was in a restaurant settings. The adults hand a child their smart phone so they can have adult conversations. Kids are losing their ability to wait their turn. They want things instantly. I admit that I am not the patient person in the world. When I get an idea in my head, I want it done yesterday. Back to the topic, kids tend to go to their electronics instead of going outside and inventing a game. They turn to facebook games, instead of board games.

I personally have a love/hate relationship with technology. I think that it is wonderful, but I also see the downfall. We are constantly connected now. We are never out of touch, we can be found at anytime. We no longer have a separation of work and home. Everyone brings their jobs home now. I personally feel naked without my phone. I worry that someone will not be able to reach me. I am learning that this is not the way things should work. I realize that my children are using the electronics way too much. \I want the conversations that happen over the dinner table and not during The Big Bang Theory. Instead of audio books in the car, the kids have headphones in their ears listening to the latest songs. Instead of debates about the books we have read, we are talking about the newest app they have. Instead of taking time to cook our food as a family, we are finding the quickest methods possible.

The news story reminded me that we need to slow down. We need to step away from the electronics and go outside. We need to enjoy the small things in life, because those small things will become the big things. 

0 comments: