February 8, 2013

Learning to Let Go with Indepent Learners

When I first starting homeschooling Dragon, he wanted my help with everything. He wanted to sit down and read Harry Potter together. He wanted to show me how he could spin and count to 100. He shared his beautiful dragon drawings. We worked side by side for many years, then he turned 14. He no longer desires my help. He prefers that I set up a weekly schedule. I tell him everything that needs to be done and the due date. He will then go about his business and get it done. It might not be in the time frame that I would like, but it is his way.

This took me by surprise. I didn't know how not to be needed. So I did what any good homeschooling mom would do, I googled it. I don't know about you, but when I see TONS of links, I tend to get overloaded. I did not find many links on How to Let Go, but rather how to set up checks & balances to make sure he is doing what needs to be done.

I spent the better part of a week visiting the links that I found. I poured through the data. I took notes and printed checklists, tips, and planners.  Then I sat down with Dragon and say Ok, you win. I trust you and your judgement. I will be here when you need me, I still need to see your work, but you have the freedom to get it done when you want.  I now realize that all those years of sitting side by side, reading together, and goofing off were leading to this moment. The moment that I get to watch him become a young man.



0 comments: