January 26, 2013

Homeschool Mom Panic Syndrome

I originally planned to talk about when homeschool moms & dads panic. This is the result of the rambling that transpired.....

I spent 5 weeks second guessing every decision that I had made regarding homeschooling. I spent weeks researching homeschooling methods, learning styles and different curriculum. It wasn't until I stopped and left the computer alone that I realized I had been going about this the wrong way. I was looking for answers in the wrong place. I should of spent that time getting to know my children a little bit better. I should of been listening and observing my children. I have spent the last few days doing this and I am glad that I did. I have learned so much about my children.

This is what I learned....

I need to come up with some sort of routine. Schedules are not flexible enough.

Tracker is devouring everything he can on reptiles, Maine, hunting, knot tying and surviving in the woods.

Squirrel is all about crafts, cooking, South Carolina and saving the environment.

Dragon has a thirst for knowledge that I cannot understand. I am in awe of him. His current reading list has everything from a French Bistro cookbook to the Illiad, to Kathy Reichs and Ancient China. He is currently teaching himself Gaelic.

The most important thing that I have learned? That my children need just a little bit of guidance. They need me to lay the foundation, but I should let them decide to build the house.

 

0 comments: