September 24, 2007

Pan-Seared Black Bean Dumplings

This is one of our favorite dishes. We make them or a variation of them every week. I got this from a recipe group on yahoo. She got it from Marilu Henner's Cookbook. I added my notes in parenthesis.

Pan-Seared Black Bean Dumplings


1 cup canned or cooked, drained and mashed black beans
1/2 teaspoon ponzu sauce or fresh lime juice (I use lemon juice)
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons trimmed and thinly sliced scallions (I used onions)
1 tablespoon chili garlic paste (I don't use this because of kids)
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
12 tablespoons round wonton wrappers (I buy these from my local oriental market)
1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce

In a mixing bowl, blend all the ingredients together except for the wonton wrappers.
Lay out the wrappers on a flat clean surface. Add approximately 1 teaspoon of mixture in the center of each skin. Brush a light coating of water around the edges of the skins and fold over to form a half moon. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling. Seal tightly with your fingers or use a fork to pinch the ends together. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a nonstick skillet with canola oil spray, set over medium heat, and cook 6 dumplings at a time. Brown each side 2 to 3 minutes. Finish cooking on a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes to warm the centers.
Makes 4 servings 12 dumplings.

My Variations...

~Mini egg rolls(another inspiration from the same group). I shred 1/4 of a cabbage, 2 large carrots, and finely chopped onion. Mix everything with some sesame oil, soy sauce, pepper & garlic. Then I cook the mixture real quick. The I continue as above.
~Peppers, I just use peppers instead of beans
~Taco Dumplings: Use refried beans, onions,and spices.

1 comments:

Mel said...

MMMMMMM I will have to try this!