September 28, 2007

Making Mistakes

"It's okay to make mistakes. Mistakes are our teachers -- they help us to learn."
~John Bradshaw

I don't know about you, but this is one of the hardest things for my oldest to understand. He thinks that he should be able to do everything perfect the first time. A great example is that he wanted to learn cursive. This was his decision. He has been at it for 2 weeks now. He is getting frustrated because it doesn't look like the examples in the book. I tried to explain that the examples were made by a computer. That made him feel a little bit better.

Our city hosts a monthly Art Walk in historic downtown. All of the local artists opened their shops up and were on hand to answer any questions. We just love to do this!!! The kids bring their art books and the artists actually sit down and talk with the children as equals. A couple of months ago, I was able to talk with the mom of a local artist. I asked if her son was also very critical of his own work. She laughed. She told me that I would get use to it. That her son threw away some amazing work because he didn't like it. He wouldn't even give it to her. She told me that it wasn't just his art that was critical of.

0 comments: